The “recipe” is very flexible. We usually use some root vegetables, some green and/or cruciferous vegetables, mushrooms, & onions – whatever we have it looks good at the store. Our latest batch has celery, carrots, turnips, beets, mushrooms, onion, garlic, and Jerusalem artichokes. Here’s the “recipe”. Enjoy!
Easy Thyroid Healing Soup
- 4-8 cups of bone broth
- 2 Tablespoons olive or avocado oil
- 2-4 ribs of celery
- 3 cups chopped Cruciferous vegetables: broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, etc.
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 cup mushrooms, fresh or dried: crimini, oyster, portobello, shiitake, etc.
- 1 large onions
- 2 cups root vegetables: carrots, rutabaga, turnip etc.
- 1 Tablespoon turmeric powder or 1″ fresh, grated
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Optional: fresh cilantro, chopped, for garnish
Other/additional options, depending on availability and taste:
- Collard greens
- Jerusalem artichokes
Chop all the vegetables. I usually chop them coarsely because we like to purée it afterwards, but you can chop them more finely and eat it as a chunky soup.
Add 2 tablespoons of oil to a large pot. Sauté the chopped onion on medium heat until they start to soften, add the garlic and sauté another minute. Add the rest of the vegetables and the bone broth. If needed, add more bone broth or water until the vegetables are covered. Add the turmeric.
Bring to boil, then lower the heat. Simmer it for about an hour. Add salt and pepper to taste. Allow to cool before pureeing. Serve with chopped cilantro.